Saturday, November 11, 2017

"Got Live If You Want It"...at least my top 5!

Recently I came across a live Johnnie Taylor CD that just blew me away! I'm still listening to it almost non-stop but it made me think about what I would consider my top 5 live recordings of all time. The 5 live documents that have not only shaped my musical approach but that have just excited me as a fan. I'm posting this not to start a debate, although feel free to share your own top 5, but to maybe hip you to some great music that you might not have heard or forgotten about. So here we go!

JOHNNIE TAYLOR - LIVE AT THE SUMMIT CLUB

 I know SHOCKER! I'm not ready to declare this my favorite of all time, it's just the most recent but oh man what a record! Just a little background; In 1972 Stax records held a concert in Los Angeles, CA. It was in response to the recent riots and was intended as a unifying and healing performance. Entitled "Wattstax" it was filmed for theatrical release as part of the wave of concert films that had probably started with Woodstock a few years earlier. Johnnie was supposed to be part of the concert but was either bumped or refused to perform. No one seems to know for sure. The decision was then made to set up and film a club date and include some of that footage in the film. From the first notes the band sounds under-rehearsed and on the verge of collapsing in confusion. The background singers are hanging on for dear life and in the middle of this maelstrom of flying notes we find Johnnie Taylor firmly in charge. He conducts and chastises and instructs the band all while putting on an electric performance. He sings the guitar players parts to him, tells the background singers when to sing and where, directs the drums and guides the tempo. All the while interacting with the audience and never loses focus. The rawness of it makes me want to call it "Punk Soul" but whatever it is it's the funkiest thing I've heard in a while!



DONNY HATHAWAY - LIVE
 This has been a favorite of mine for over 20 years. I heard it first mentioned in a Chris Layton interview and later had it recommended to me by a band mate. I found my first copy in Japan while I was on tour with Buddy Guy and it has since become a touchstone for me when it comes to beautiful, soulful music performed immaculately. Recorded at two separate shows (one on the East Coast and one on the West Coast) the musicians are some of the best of the generation; Cornell Dupree, Phil Unchurch, Willie Weeks, Mike Howard, Fred White and Earl DeRouen. All being led by an amazing singer, composer, arranger Donny Hathaway. Versions of "What's Goin' On", "You've Got A Friend" and "Jealous Guy" are as powerful as the original versions. I listen to this record at least every couple of weeks, it's been in my life for a long time.



JIMI HENDRIX - BAND OF GYPSYS
 I know, another shocker! This is often my favorite Jimi Hendrix record. I say 'often' because as soon as I say that, I listen to Electric Ladyland and say no that's my favorite or I'll say it's my favorite "live" Hendrix and then I'll here the Berekley Concert and say well....No matter what though this is the one that I put in my top five. This was actually a record that Hendrix was forced to make. After signing a contract that he forgot about after he became successful, of course the people who held this contract hadn't forgotten and demanded that he honor their agreement. The resulting live record was definitely Jimi at his funkiest. With Buddy Miles on drums instead of Mitch Mitchell, the groove was a funkier, earthier, soul type drumming that coupled with Billy Cox' bass playing, gave Jimi a completely different platform to launch from. The new originals were at points obviously not completely "baked" arrangement wise but Jimi's guitar soars throughout. The time frame (New Years Eve/New Years Day 1969/70) makes a song like Machine Gun a chilling political statement as powerful as Jimi's Woodstock National Anthem. This isn't the record I would introduce someone to Jimi's music with, but I'd be excitedly waiting until they were ready for it!


B.B. KING - LIVE IN JAPAN
I found this record around the same time as the Donny Hathaway record, in Japan. It hadn't been reissued in the states yet so I was excited to hear some live B.B. that wasn't Live At The Regal or Live At The Cook County Jail. Both of those are great records and they both have a spot in my favorite records but this is in my top five. B.B.'s tone is immaculate, his performance and execution is spot on. Recorded in Tokyo in 1971, it features my favorite B.B. drummer, Sonny Freeman. "Niji Baby" is worth the price of admission on it's own! The passion in B.'s voice when he sings "Eyesight To The Blind" is electric.


BUDDY GUY & JUNIOR WELLS - DRINKIN' TNT 'N' SMOKIN' DYNAMITE
 I think when you limit yourself to 5 records it's always the last slot that's the hardest to fill! This record wins because it not only has two of my favorite performers (BG & Junior) but it's also a live record that I listen to on a regular basis. I don't think I go more than a couple of weeks at the most before I check back in with this record. It's that much a part of my musical fabric. Recorded at The Montreux Jazz Festival in Montreux, Switzerland, it was part of a show that included Buddy and Junior backing Muddy Waters. This was Buddy and Junior's set just before they played with Muddy who was a major influence and patriarch to both of them so I can't help but think that were putting a little more grease on the fire for Muddy's approval. (I know that's how I feel when I open for BG!) This show was also filmed and I have a DVD of the entire show. (I'm not sure where I got it so it might not be an "official" release.) Part of my pre-show ritual is watching video's in the bus before we play. I use this time to get my head in the right space and gain some energy from my mentors and heroes. This is one of my favorite "hype tapes". The rythm section includes Bill Wyman, from the Rolling Stones, on bass, Pinetop Perkins on piano and Terry and Dallas Taylor on guitar and drums respectively. The musical support of these guys is incredibly sympathetic and understated allowing Buddy and Junior to use incredible dynamics and just soar over the music in that amazing fashion that has always amazed me.

 Well there ya go, my top 5 live recordings, not in order. These are the records that I turn to again and again for inspiration and guidance. They are guaranteed to increase the heart rate, cause the involuntary head-bob and just generally put a smile on your face. If you haven't heard some of these greats, check them out. I checked and all 5 are available on Amazon so buy 'em!!

MY 5 HONORABLE MENTIONS...because it's my blog!
 I said before, it's hard to keep it to 5 so I'm just adding 5 honorable mentions so I can sleep tonight;

AL GREEN - LIVE IN TOKYO
DWIGHT YOAKAM - DWIGHT LIVE
SEX PISTOLS - FILTHY LUCRE LIVE
RED DEVILS - KING KING
MUDDY WATERS, BUDDY GUY, HOWLIN' WOLF, SONNY BOY WILLIAMSON, WILLIE DIXON - FOLK FESTIVAL OF THE BLUES * (This one gets an asterisk because it only partially live but it's recorded to make it sound live and it's STILL a great record!)

1 comment:

Matt Lineberry said...

Band of Gypsy's made my top 5, as well, for many of the same reasons. It was an incredible album and one that I normally reserve for when I have the time to listen to it in its entirety. Other's include:

Blind Faith by Blind Faith: Only 6 tracks, but such a powerhouse group. Probably my favorite music from both Clapton and Winwood. And with Baker and Grech fleshing out the rest of the band, it was pure gold.

Live at San Quentin by B.B. King: This was my first blues album, having been recommended when I was around 16 years of age and dealing with my first hearbreak. This was also around the time I was beginning to learn the harmonica, so it drove me to a fascination for the blues. I know many believe Live at the Regal to be his best live album, but this one holds a special place in my heart. (Funny side note: For years I thought San Quitin was an actual public venue. When I learned it was a prison it changed the ENTIRE feel of the album.)

Rocks by Aerosmith: I first became an Aerosmith in the early 90's when they were going through a major transition in their style. Leaving the raw and gritty rock sound that made them famous for a more pop-centered style. Love it all, but nothing will ever outdo Rocks, in my opinion. Last Child...Rats in the Cellar...Nobody's Fault...and Back in the Saddle...some of Perry and Whitford's best work together.

Big Walter Horton w/ Carey Bell by Big Walter Horton: Being a harmonica player, you have to have your favorite Harmonica album. This one would be mine. Little Boy Blue is about as good as it can get. Searched for years for this album on vinyl. I'd personally like to thank all the hispters for the recent resurgence in vinyl sales, which led to this being reprinted FINALLY.

New artist mention: Greta Van Fleet. Just released an EP this month called Through the Flames. Holy friggin' cow. It's like the forgotten offspring of Robert Plant and crew finally grew up.