Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Sail On

So the new chapter starts on Friday. We move forward and keep driving. No matter what. It’s funny, but conviction isn’t something you can just talk about, you have to walk the walk. I’ve been doing this for almost 20 years now. I started with Buddy in 1989. I never stopped. When I left Buddy, the money went to almost nothing, I went from hotels (real nice hotels) to motels (real bad motels), and I went from a tour bus to a van that I drive and pay for and fuel myself. I’ve had dozens of musicians in this band, some for a while, some for a minute. I treated them all with respect and loved them like family. I’ve never thought about giving up, I’ve never let myself get discouraged by some little pieces of trouble that might have been cast in my direction. I never wondered, “is this all there is?”, I understand that I am doing what I was put here to do and if God wants me to move, He’ll move me or make my situation so obvious that I have no choice but to move. I have an amazing support. My wife Buffy is my best friend and has always kept me grounded while simultaneously giving me what I need to fly. She has supported me without fail from the beginning and that makes the difference. She keeps me in check spiritually as well, reminding me that just because we’re in this world, that doesn’t mean that this is all there is. I couldn’t make it without her. She is the love of my life. I’m her biggest fan.
I have amazing friends who are there for me in so many ways that it’s impossible to describe. I have family that supports and loves me and I’m humbled by all of it. I understand when people who don’t have that kind of love and support crack under the stress and strain. My heart goes out to them. There are people around me right now who are floundering and lost and searching. I want to be there for them and I am there for them, but sometimes people don’t see you, they don’t know you’re there no matter how much you shout or how much you do. I hope that the people in my life who are struggling find the peace that they’re looking for and that they can achieve their dreams.

No comments: